THE ART OF PRETENDING


 THE ART OF PRETENDING


I dress my fear in something beautiful 

So the people can believe it.

My smile is a mask of deceit

If pretending were an art , I'd be a masterpiece .


I wake up every day to perform a role 

I never auditioned for...

I mastered the language of "I'm fine"

When I am nowhere near happy

Those acts were only a disguise

So they never question me.



If you smile too much

Questions will be asked.

If you are sad and moody 

Questions will be asked too.

So what should I do?

So I balance both,  to keep them off guard.


At times I pretend to be happy

Not to get attention

But to navigate the sadness 

I perform happiness like a daily ritual

Yet no one understands the price I pay.


No one hears the silence behind my laughter

Even my shadow doubts me.

A day will come

I won’t pretend

My smile won’t be rehearsed

My laughter won’t be borrowed

And for once—

I will exist

Without permission.


©DADA OLUWAFEMI

2026.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LONELINESS IN THE CROWD

DARK WORLD

AFRICAN BLEEDS